An Ultimate Guide to the Top 55+ Active Communities in Asheville
Discover the top amenity-rich active adult communities in Asheville, including pros and cons, things to do nearby, traffic, hospitals, and shopping – from a local.
- With over 20 55+ active communities spread out across the best suburbs in Asheville (including Buncombe and Henderson Counties) finding the best fit can be challenging.
- We took a look at some of the top active adult communities based on their amenities, locations, and median sales price.
- We also outlined the communities’ price-point, average home square footage, and the total number of homes.
- We discussed frequently asked questions about living in active retirement communities in Asheville.
Hundreds of active adult homesites are located within Asheville’s 55+ communities. Check out our guide below for a detailed list of the best features of these communities.
Table of Contents
- Best 55+ Communities in Asheville By the Numbers
- Best 55 Communities in Asheville Texas
- What Are Over 55 Living Communities?
- What to Look For in Over 55 Living Communities
- Tips for Living in an Active Retirement Community
- Pros and Cons of Active Adult Communities
- Frequently Asked Questions
Known for its thriving arts scene and historical architecture, Asheville features a bounty of craft breweries, scenic hiking trails, and plenty of food and music options. Asheville is an eclectic city with a unique blend of cosmopolitan culture and natural beauty and history.
Whether you’re considering life in Asheville, and or want to know more about retiring in Asheville, this blog post will leave you with plenty of information about active adult communities in the area.
Best 55+ Communities in Asheville by the Numbers
|Community||Median Price||Median Price/SqFt||Median Sold Per Year|
|Blue Ridge Villas||$247,500||$176.3||2|
|Brookside Manor Condominiums||$170,000||$166.6||2|
|Park Place Condominiums||$369,900||$219.0||1|
|Park Place of Hendersonville||$439,000||$203.4||1|
|The Hills At Averys Creek||$267,408||$240.9||6|
*Values are medians from last three years of sales from MLS.
Based on the median price data, we can see that the Beaverdam Run community has the highest median price of $736,250. On the other hand, Brookside Village has the lowest median price at $131,450. These variations in prices reflect the diversity of housing options available in the 55+ communities.
When considering the median price per square foot, we observe that Beaverdam Run also leads with a median price per square foot of $323.2. Meanwhile, Brookside Village stands out as the most affordable option with a median price per square foot of $128.9.
Examining the median number of homes sold per year, Crowfields Condos takes the lead with an impressive 25 homes sold on average each year. Other active communities include Brookside Village, The Hills At Averys Creek, and Creekside, all recording a median of 6 homes sold annually.
Remember that these data are medians, and do not give any information about the velocity of sales, turnover rate of a community, or changes in the recent market.
If you’d like an up-to-date analysis, or a custom list of homes for sale in these communities, please call me at 828-412-0678 or e-mail me at email@example.com.
Best 55 Communities in Asheville, North Carolina
These are some of the more popular 55+ communities among my clients who are considering retiring in Asheville.
Crowfields Condos is a premier condominium community in Western North Carolina, has been a leader since the 1970s.
Sprawling across 72 acres of lush woodlands, meadows, and serene ponds, it boasts the picturesque Dingle Creek that meanders through the clubhouse and the community, eventually joining the French Broad River.
With its mature trees, stunning mountain views, and an exclusive age-55+ designation, Crowfields offers an unparalleled living experience in Asheville.
\With 192 homes nestled amidst the parkland, this idyllic setting serves as a natural habitat for wildlife and fosters a vibrant and diverse community.
Nestled within 115 acres of stunning natural beauty, the Beaverdam Run community in Asheville offers breathtaking year-round sunset and mountain views.
Featuring an array of outstanding amenities such as tennis courts, an indoor pool, exercise room, clubhouse, garden space, and scenic walking trails, residents enjoy a truly elevated lifestyle.
Completed in 2001, the community comprises 136 attached townhomes ranging in size from 1,800 square feet to 4,456 square feet.
Prospective homeowners have the opportunity to choose from two to four-bedroom units with varying bathroom configurations.
These highly sought-after homes rarely become available on the market, each offering unique features and positioned harmoniously within the enchanting landscape of the 115 wooded, rolling acres.
Creekside Villages is a charming condominium community located in Asheville, NC, offering a peaceful and picturesque living experience.
Situated amidst the natural beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains, this community provides residents with stunning views and a serene atmosphere.
The condos at Creekside Village are thoughtfully designed, catering to the needs and preferences of modern living.
With a variety of floor plans available, residents can choose from spacious one, two, or three-bedroom units that feature contemporary finishes and ample living space.
The open layouts create a welcoming ambiance, while large windows allow for an abundance of natural light to fill the rooms.
One of the highlights of Creekside Village is its beautiful surroundings. The community is nestled alongside a tranquil creek, offering residents the opportunity to enjoy the soothing sounds of flowing water and the peacefulness of nature.
Residents can also take advantage of the community’s walking trails, perfect for leisurely strolls and connecting with the outdoors.
Brigadoon is an inviting condominium community in Candler, NC, just a few minutes outside of Asheville, providing residents with a comfortable and convenient living experience.
The well-designed condos feature modern finishes and spacious layouts, offering a stylish and functional living space.
The community amenities include a clubhouse and fitness center, providing residents with opportunities for relaxation and exercise.
With its prime location near shopping, dining, and entertainment options, Brigadoon offers a convenient and vibrant lifestyle close to Asheville.
The Hills at Avery Creek
The Hills at Avery’s Creek is an exceptional condominium community located in Asheville, NC, offering residents a serene and idyllic living environment.
The thoughtfully designed condos feature modern finishes and spacious layouts, providing residents with comfortable and stylish homes.
The community amenities, including a clubhouse and fitness center, contribute to a well-rounded and enjoyable lifestyle, while the proximity to outdoor recreational opportunities adds to the appeal of this community.
Nestled amidst lush vegetation and rolling hills, ViewPointe offers a serene location immersed in nature’s beauty while being conveniently situated just five miles outside of Downtown Asheville.
This vibrant community consists of 44 attached homes available in 3-bedroom/3-bathroom and 2-bedroom/2-bathroom configurations, catering to retirees and empty-nesters seeking a quiet and luxurious lifestyle.
Alongside its prime location, ViewPointe boasts deluxe amenities, engaging community activities, pet-friendly policies, well-maintained tree-lined streets, and more.
Despite providing a tranquil living environment away from the city’s hustle and bustle, ViewPointe is only a short fifteen-minute drive from Downtown Asheville, granting residents easy access to a variety of cultural, artistic, and musical experiences.
Additionally, residents can indulge in the renowned culinary scene with an array of restaurants, bars, and microbreweries just a stone’s throw away.
What Are Over 55 Living Communities?
One of the questions I get a lot is “what are 55+ communities” and “that community/condo/townhome is SO NICE, do I really need to be over 55 years of age to live there?”
It’s true that some of the 55+ communities in town are very nice, and I get a lot of younger folks asking me if they are strict about age requirements.
The truth of the matter is that most of these communities have restrictions against the age of the purchasers and the residents of the homes.
However, some communities only require that a certain percentage of owners are 55 plus.
Let’s review some of the key features of 55+ communities.
Over 55 living communities, also known as 55+ communities or active adult communities, are residential neighborhoods specifically designed for individuals aged 55 and older, as I mentioned earlier.
These communities are designed to cater to the unique needs, preferences, and lifestyles of this age group.
Asheville and Hendersonville are home to a variety of over 55 living communities. These communities provide an opportunity for individuals aged 55 and older to live in a community that caters to their specific needs and desires while enjoying the natural beauty of the area.
Here are some key features and characteristics of over 55 living communities in Asheville, North Carolina, and Hendersonville:
- Age Restriction: One defining characteristic of these communities is the age restriction, typically set at 55 or older. This requirement ensures that the community is specifically tailored to the needs and interests of older adults in the Asheville and Hendersonville areas.
- Amenities and Facilities: Over 55 living communities in Asheville and Hendersonville often offer a wide range of amenities and facilities geared towards an active and fulfilling lifestyle. Residents can enjoy the natural beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains while taking advantage of amenities such as fitness centers, swimming pools, walking trails, golf courses, clubhouses, and social and recreational activities.
- Maintenance-Free Living: Many 55+ communities in Asheville and Hendersonville offer maintenance-free living options. This means that common areas, landscaping, and exterior maintenance tasks are taken care of by the community management, allowing residents to focus on enjoying their homes and the community amenities without the burden of maintenance work.
- Single-Family Homes, Townhomes, or Condominiums: Over 55 living communities in Asheville and Hendersonville often offer a variety of housing options, including single-family homes, townhomes, or condominiums. These homes are designed to be age-friendly, with features such as single-level floor plans, wider doorways, grab bars, and other accessibility features.
- Sense of Community: One of the key attractions of over 55 living communities in Asheville and Hendersonville is the strong sense of community and camaraderie among residents. Living in a community with individuals in a similar stage of life allows for social connections, shared interests, and a supportive network. Residents can enjoy the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains together while fostering a sense of belonging.
- Active Lifestyle and Programs: Many 55+ communities in Asheville and Hendersonville organize social events, clubs, and programs specifically tailored to the interests and preferences of the residents. These activities may include fitness classes, hobby groups, game nights, educational seminars, and outings. Residents can engage in these activities while enjoying the natural surroundings and cultural offerings of the area.
- Security and Safety: Over 55 communities in Asheville and Hendersonville often prioritize security and safety measures, offering gated entrances, security patrols, and surveillance systems. This provides peace of mind for residents and their families in these beautiful mountain communities.
So, generally speaking, the 55+ living communities in Asheville, North Carolina, and Hendersonville provide an opportunity for individuals aged 55 and older to live in a community that caters to their specific needs and desires. These communities offer a range of amenities, a strong sense of community, and an active and fulfilling lifestyle, all within the stunning backdrop of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
However, with over 20 active adult communities here in the Asheville area, older adults at the beginning of their homebuying journey may feel overwhelmed with finding the right fit for their lifestyle.
When buying into an active adult community in Asheville, keep in mind that you are not only purchasing a home but also subscribing to the neighborhood’s lifestyle.
What to Look For in Over 55 Living Communities
The top things to consider in a 55 plus community are: location, amenities, housing stock, rules, lifestyle, security, cost, and reputation.
When searching for an over 55 living community, it’s important to consider these various factors to ensure that the community meets your specific needs and preferences.
Let’s go over these in greater detail:
- Location: Consider the location of the community and whether it aligns with your lifestyle and preferences. Look for communities situated in areas that offer amenities and services you desire, such as proximity to healthcare facilities, shopping centers, recreational opportunities, cultural attractions, and natural surroundings.
- Amenities and Services: Assess the range of amenities and services offered by the community. Consider the types of amenities that are important to you, such as fitness centers, swimming pools, walking trails, clubhouse facilities, libraries, and organized activities. Ensure that the community provides the resources and activities that will contribute to an enjoyable and fulfilling lifestyle.
- Housing Options: Evaluate the available housing options within the community. Determine whether the community offers a variety of housing types, including single-family homes, townhomes, or condominiums, and whether these options meet your needs in terms of size, layout, and accessibility features. Additionally, consider the design and quality of the homes and whether they align with your preferences and lifestyle.
- Community Rules and Regulations: Understand the rules and regulations of the community. Review the community guidelines, restrictions, and any governing documents to ensure they align with your lifestyle choices. Consider factors such as pet policies, noise restrictions, architectural guidelines, and any other rules that may impact your day-to-day living in the community.
- Lifestyle and Activities: Assess the community’s focus on an active and engaging lifestyle. Inquire about the availability of social events, clubs, and activities organized within the community. Look for opportunities to pursue your hobbies and interests, engage in fitness or wellness programs, participate in group activities, and build relationships with other residents.
- Safety and Security: Consider the safety and security measures in place within the community. Inquire about the presence of security personnel, surveillance systems, gated entrances, and other security features. A safe and secure environment is crucial for peace of mind and overall well-being.
- Financial Considerations: Evaluate the financial aspects of living in the community. Inquire about the homeowners’ association fees and what they cover. Understand any additional costs associated with amenities or services not included in the basic fees. Consider your budget and ensure that the community’s financial requirements are sustainable for you.
- Reputation and Resident Satisfaction: Research the community’s reputation and resident satisfaction. Read reviews, talk to current residents if possible, and visit the community to get a sense of the atmosphere and overall satisfaction levels among residents. A community with a positive reputation and happy residents is likely to provide a more fulfilling living experience.
Remember, every individual has unique preferences and priorities, so it’s essential to assess these factors based on your personal needs and desires. Take the time to visit multiple communities, ask questions, and gather as much information as possible to make an informed decision that aligns with your ideal over 55 living community.
Tips for Living in a 55+ Community
Here are some tips to make the most of your time in a 55+ community in Asheville:
- Embrace the Community: Engage and connect with fellow residents. Participate in community activities, social events, and clubs. Building relationships and fostering a sense of community will enhance your overall experience and create a supportive network of friends.
- Explore Asheville: Take advantage of the vibrant and culturally rich city of Asheville. Visit local attractions, explore the Blue Ridge Mountains, indulge in the diverse culinary scene, and enjoy the numerous arts and music festivals. Asheville offers a wealth of opportunities for entertainment, outdoor activities, and cultural experiences.
- Utilize Community Amenities: Make full use of the amenities and facilities within the community. Take advantage of fitness centers, swimming pools, walking trails, and other amenities designed to enhance your well-being and active lifestyle. Engaging in regular physical activity and utilizing community resources will contribute to your overall health and enjoyment.
- Stay Informed: Stay updated on community news, events, and announcements. Read community newsletters or bulletin boards, attend resident meetings, and actively participate in decision-making processes. Being informed and involved in the community’s affairs will help you stay connected and have a voice in shaping community life.
- Respect Community Rules: Adhere to the community rules and regulations. Respect quiet hours, parking guidelines, and any architectural or landscaping restrictions. Following the rules ensures a harmonious living environment and maintains the community’s overall appeal.
- Volunteer and Give Back: Consider volunteering your time and skills within the community or in the broader Asheville area. Many organizations and nonprofits in the region rely on volunteers to support their initiatives. Engaging in volunteer work not only contributes to the community but also provides a sense of fulfillment and purpose.
- Take Advantage of Local Services: Familiarize yourself with local services and resources available in Asheville. Explore healthcare facilities, pharmacies, grocery stores, and other essential services nearby. Knowing the local amenities and services will help you easily access what you need and make your day-to-day life more convenient.
- Embrace Outdoor Activities: Asheville is known for its natural beauty and outdoor recreational opportunities. Take advantage of the nearby hiking trails, scenic drives, and parks. Engaging in outdoor activities like walking, hiking, or picnicking allows you to enjoy the breathtaking surroundings and maintain an active and healthy lifestyle.
- Attend Cultural and Educational Events: Asheville offers a rich cultural scene with art galleries, theaters, museums, and educational institutions. Attend concerts, exhibitions, lectures, and workshops to nourish your interests, expand your knowledge, and connect with the local arts and culture community.
- Balance Privacy and Socialization: Find the right balance between privacy and socialization. Enjoy your own space and downtime while also actively participating in social events and community activities. This balance will ensure that you have the solitude you need while still engaging with the vibrant community around you.
By embracing the community, exploring Asheville, staying informed, respecting the rules, and taking advantage of the local resources and activities, you can have a fulfilling and enjoyable experience living in a 55+ community in the Asheville area.
Pros and Cons of Active Adult Communities
Living in an active adult community, also known as a 55+ community or an age-restricted community, offers several benefits and advantages.
What are the benefits of living in an active adult community?
- Age-Specific Amenities: Active adult communities are designed with the needs and preferences of older adults in mind. They often provide a wide range of amenities and facilities tailored to an active and fulfilling lifestyle, such as fitness centers, swimming pools, walking trails, golf courses, clubhouses, and organized social and recreational activities. These amenities make it convenient and enjoyable to pursue hobbies, stay physically active, and socialize with like-minded individuals.
- Sense of Community: One of the major advantages of active adult communities is the strong sense of community and camaraderie among residents. Living among peers who share similar life experiences and interests creates opportunities for social connections, shared activities, and a supportive network. The community atmosphere fosters a sense of belonging, reduces social isolation, and promotes an overall sense of well-being.
- Maintenance-Free Living: Many active adult communities offer maintenance-free living options. This means that common areas, landscaping, and exterior maintenance tasks are taken care of by the community management. Residents can enjoy their homes and the community amenities without the burden of routine maintenance work, allowing more time for leisure activities, travel, and relaxation.
- Security and Safety: Active adult communities often prioritize security and safety measures. Gated entrances, security patrols, and surveillance systems provide residents with peace of mind. The focus on safety creates a secure living environment, allowing residents to feel comfortable and at ease in their homes.
- Active and Engaging Lifestyle: Active adult communities are designed to promote an active and engaging lifestyle. They offer a variety of social events, clubs, and activities tailored to the interests and preferences of older adults. Residents can participate in fitness classes, hobby groups, game nights, educational seminars, outings, and more. The wide range of activities keeps residents mentally stimulated, physically active, and socially connected.
- Downsizing Opportunities: Active adult communities often provide a range of housing options suitable for downsizing. This allows individuals or couples to transition to a smaller, more manageable home that meets their current needs. Downsizing can simplify daily living, reduce maintenance responsibilities, and free up time and resources for other pursuits.
- Privacy and Security: Active adult communities typically have age restrictions that limit residency to individuals aged 55 or older. This creates a community environment where residents can enjoy their privacy while being surrounded by peers who understand and respect their lifestyles and needs.
- Opportunities for New Friendships: Living in an active adult community provides opportunities to form new friendships and social connections. Shared activities, events, and common areas facilitate interactions among residents, fostering a sense of belonging and creating opportunities for companionship and support.
- Enhanced Quality of Life: Overall, the combination of age-specific amenities, a sense of community, an active lifestyle, and a secure living environment can significantly enhance the quality of life for residents in active adult communities. These communities are designed to cater to the unique needs and preferences of older adults, promoting an enjoyable and fulfilling lifestyle.
It’s important to note that the specific benefits and amenities may vary from one active adult community to another. It’s recommended to research and visit different communities to find one that aligns with your preferences, lifestyle, and budget.
What are the disadvantages to worry about when living in a 55+ community?
While there are many advantages to living in a 55+ community, it’s important to consider potential drawbacks as well. Here are some cons or factors to be aware of when contemplating living in a 55+ community:
- Age Restrictions: The age restrictions imposed by 55+ communities mean that younger family members, such as children (<18) or grandchildren, may not be able to live with you on a permanent basis. If maintaining close proximity to younger family members is a priority for you, this restriction may pose a challenge.
- Lack of Age Diversity: Living in a 55+ community means being surrounded by people in a similar age range. While this can foster a strong sense of community, it also means less exposure to a diverse range of ages and perspectives. If you prefer a more intergenerational environment, a 55+ community may not be the ideal choice.
- Limited Flexibility: Some 55+ communities have strict rules and regulations that govern various aspects of daily life, including property modifications, pet ownership, noise levels, and guest policies. These restrictions may limit your flexibility and require you to adhere to community guidelines that may not align with your personal preferences.
- Lack of Family-Oriented Facilities: 55+ communities are primarily designed with older adults in mind and may not offer amenities or facilities that cater to the needs of families with young children. If you have frequent visits from family members with children or if you desire family-oriented recreational options, a 55+ community may not provide the desired environment.
- Homeowner Association Fees: Many 55+ communities have homeowner association (HOA) fees that cover the maintenance and operation costs of common areas and amenities. These fees can vary in amount and may impact your budget. It’s crucial to understand the fee structure and what services or amenities are included to ensure it aligns with your financial situation.
- Changing Dynamics: Over time, the dynamics of a 55+ community can change as residents age or move away. The community you initially join may have a vibrant and active atmosphere, but this can evolve as residents transition to different stages of life. Consider the long-term prospects of the community and how its changing demographics might affect your experience.
- Limited Control Over Community Decisions: Active adult communities are typically governed by homeowner associations or management companies that make decisions on behalf of the community. As a resident, you may have limited control or influence over community policies, rules, or changes. It’s important to review the governing documents and understand the decision-making processes within the community.
It’s important to thoroughly research and visit multiple 55+ communities, consider your lifestyle preferences, and weigh the pros and cons before making a decision. Every community is unique, so it’s essential to find one that aligns with your specific needs, preferences, and long-term goals.
Frequently Asked Questions about 55+ Communities
I get a lot of questions about 55+ communities and there seems to be a lot of general confusion about what they are, who they are for, and what it’s like to live in them.
Below, I’ll cover the most common questions. Note that some of the answers I’ve already addressed earlier in this post.
What is a 55+ community?
A 55+ community is an age-restricted community where all units are occupied by persons 62 years of age or older and/or at least 80% of occupied units in the community house at least one person aged 55 or older.
Do you have to be 55 to buy in a 55 community?
No, you don’t have to be 55 to buy in a 55 community.
You can be younger than 55 and still be able to buy a home in a 55 community as long as one of the people living in the house is aged 55 or older.
What amenities are typically offered in 55+ communities?
Common amenities include fitness centers, pools, clubhouses, social activities, walking trails, and sometimes golf courses or sports facilities.
Are there restrictions on who can live with me in a 55+ community?
Age restrictions usually apply, meaning that younger family members can typically visit or stay temporarily, but permanent residency may be limited to individuals meeting the age requirement.
How are homeowner association (HOA) fees structured and what do they cover?
HOA fees are regular payments made by residents to cover maintenance of common areas, amenities, landscaping, security, and sometimes utilities or other services.
Are pets allowed in 55+ communities?
Most 55+ communities allow pets, but there may be restrictions on the number, size, or type of pets permitted.
What types of housing options are available in 55+ communities?
Housing options can range from single-family homes, townhouses, and condos to apartments, providing a variety of choices to suit different preferences and budgets.
Can I still work if I live in a 55+ community?
Yes, you are allowed to work, even though many retirees purchase homes in 55+ communities. If you are considering retiring in Asheville, we’ve written a blog post that may be of interest.
Is healthcare available or provided in 55+ communities?
No healthcare is available or provided in any 55+ community in the Asheville area.
Are there social activities and clubs organized within the community?
Yes, 55+ communities often organize social activities, clubs, and events to promote social engagement and foster a sense of community among residents.
What are the rules and regulations of the community?
Each community has its own set of rules and regulations that govern various aspects such as property maintenance, noise levels, parking, and adherence to community standards.
How is the maintenance and upkeep of the community handled?
Maintenance and upkeep are usually managed by the homeowner association, which employs staff or hires contractors to maintain common areas and amenities.
Can I rent in a 55 community?
Yes, you can rent in a 55 community as long as you fulfill the age requirements of the community you’re renting a home in.
Are there age-related services or assistance available in the community?
Some communities may offer age-related services such as fitness classes, wellness programs, or assistance with daily living activities through partnerships or on-site providers.
What is the resale value of homes in a 55+ community?
Resale values can vary based on factors like location, market conditions, the condition of the property, and the amenities and services offered by the community. Contact Dylan Lennon at 828-412-0678 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have specific questions about resale in the current market.
Are there any restrictions on selling or renting out my home in a 55+ community?
There may be specific rules and restrictions regarding selling or renting out your home, such as notifying the homeowner association or adhering to specific guidelines.
What are the benefits of living in a 55+ community compared to other housing options?
Benefits include age-specific amenities, a sense of community, social opportunities, and a lifestyle tailored to the preferences and needs of older adults.
Can family members and friends visit or stay overnight in a 55+ community?
Visits and temporary stays by family members and friends are typically allowed, although some communities may have guidelines on duration and frequency.
These questions cover various aspects of living in a 55+ community, including age requirements, amenities, rules and regulations, housing options, social activities, and more. It’s important to seek answers to these questions and any others you may have to make an informed decision about whether a 55+ community is the right fit for you.
Investing in a 55+ Community in the Asheville Area
The Asheville market is a compelling investment for several reasons.
First, Asheville’s popularity as a retirement destination is growing due to its pleasant climate, natural beauty, and abundant recreational opportunities. This increasing demand for senior housing creates a favorable market environment for investors.
Second, the aging population trend suggests a long-term need for quality senior housing options. As the baby boomer generation continues to age, the demand for age-appropriate housing and care services is expected to rise.
Finally, Asheville’s strong economy and thriving tourism industry provide a stable foundation for real estate investments.
These factors combined make senior housing in Asheville an attractive investment opportunity with the potential for both income generation and long-term appreciation.
If you or your family is considering making an investment into the 55+ housing market in Asheville, or needs up-to-date market information on this segment, feel free to reach out to my at 828-412-0678.
You can also always e-mail me for information about the 55+ housing market in Buncombe county at email@example.com.